Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Wednesday poem - I sow footprints

This poem is part of a series titled 'Huron Days' I wrote in 1995 during a week's stay at  Pinery Provincial Park, located on the eastern shores of Lake Huron, Ontario, Canada.


 
 
I sow footprints

transient fossils

on this layer of sand

searching for solace

my pace not burdened by hunger

nor legs striding to escape death

nor arms embracing osseous children

nor lips parched against a naked land

 

there are others beyond these shores

with eyes fixed on approaching borders

while mine cowardly beckon for shade

as the rustle of aspens translate

alien cries that resonate

under the open sky

 

my mind flooded by lessons
 
of an economic creed interprets

the lacerations of humanity

as the burrowed cavities on the

face of these dunes that await

emergent flights of swallows
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment